Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Lessons learned as kids....but lost on adults?

Wait your turn.
Share your toys.
Eat your vegetables.
Don't pick your nose.
Say 'please' and 'thank you'.
Don't make that face or your face will freeze that way.
Don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it has been.
If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all.

When we were younger we had others [attempting] to set our moral compasses.  As we grew and developed into adults we had those guiding forces watching out for us.  Once we are aged to majority, we are often left on our own to sink or swim.  Have we learned those lessons?  I think sometimes, yes.  Then I think of how far some of us have to come.

We are a McSociety.  We like to get what we want when we want it.  I think it is hard for us to wait our turn.  We work hard and often want things immediately.  We are a rushed society, so sooner is often better than later.  I think we forget that good things come to those who wait.

We might not play with toys like those of childhood fancy but we certainly have upgraded.  We have cars, sports items/vehicles, computers and game systems, etc.  We have all this and we still find it hard to share our toys.  Is it a human instinct?  We act to protect what we have...mine, not yours.  I know I work with my little one to get the "mine" way of thinking deterred.

Eat your vegetables.  I still don't like lima beans.  They are just gross.  I think we would all be better off if we had our daily serving suggestion of fruits and veggies but who doesn't love a crispy cheese drizzled puff of corn?

Don't pick your nose.  Well, you know who you are.  It is that fellow road traveler stopped at a light and you catch a glimpse of their private behavior.  FYI, the windows in your car are see through for a reason.  Just saying.

Saying 'please' and 'thank you'.  You would think it was harder for our kids to choke out those words but I notice less 'grown ups' saying these simple yet thoughtful words.  If someone holds the door for you, it is okay to say thank you.   You might even surprise someone.  If you throw in a smile while doing so then you might have made someone's day too and it didn't cost you a thing!  And if you are like a friend of mine, Mary Ann, then you add a charming compliment into the mix and you have completely disarmed that stranger and really changed their day.

Don't make that face or your face will freeze that way.  I have some living yet to do but I am here to tell you it just doesn't happen.  I have made those faces many times and I'm pretty sure that it is just a scare tactic.  A few more case studies are in order I think.  It's better to be safe than sorry!

Don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where that has been.  I will just say that this remains to be true but for different reasons these days.  This is solid advice so go with it!

If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all.  I think that this is a lesson that some never learn.  Try as you might to instill that in some but it just doesn't stick.  Sometimes words have consequences.  It is important to think before you speak.  Give it a try.  You might find people warm up to you more.

1 comment:

  1. So well said Karen!!! What a great reminder.......have you read "all I need to know I learned in kindergarten"?..........keep up the great work!!

    ReplyDelete