Tuesday, January 25, 2011

FWD: FWD: FWD: FWD: FWD:

Ever get those forwarded emails or see those posts that seem to take on a life of their own on Facebook?  Of course you have.  I have yet to find a suitable filter that magically makes my 3rd cousin stop sending me some money wish or angel-gram that I must hurry and send to 10 of my friends.  Oh, and by the way, Mr. Bill Gates, I'm still waiting for that free computer that we were promised if we forwarded that test message you were tracking.  Man, there are a lot of those things out there.

Recently, I saw a post on Facebook that I decided to repost (yes, because I agreed) about being a Mommy.  I changed it to "parent" as I thought the Daddy population needed some love too.  This is what it said:

Do I work? YES! 24 hours a day. Why? Because I'm a MOM. I'm a parent, a cook, a cleaner, a teacher, a referee, a nanny, a nurse, a handyman, a maid, a security officer, a dentist, a secretary, a negotiator, a chauffeur & a hairdresser. I don't get holidays, sick pay, or days OFF. I work day & night. I'm on call at all hours. Now tell me my job isn't a real one! Re-post if you are blessed enough to be a MOM...

As a stay-at-home mother I often find myself feeling a little bit like I'm not as hard working as some others.  I am.  I just get to do it in PJ's if I want.  Whether we work 9-5, the swing shift or we don't get paid for what we do we are all working for one goal.  We are raising adults.  I heard that the other day too.  We aren't raising children but we are raising adults.  I thought for a minute.  Of course.  When you think about it we aren't looking to create a perpetual preschooler or a forever fifteen year old (I know I cringed at that thought) we are raising the next generation.  While some of us leave the home to make an income to help provide the needs and stability for our future adults; others of us are home making sure the toilet isn't super gross for guests or that there is always a supply of fresh socks.  Mind you, the working parent is doing it all.  They bring home the bacon and fry it in the pan....they also have to make sure the toilets aren't super gross too.

There are so many of us out there.  We have our differences but our biggest similarities are universal.  We wear a lot of different hats, accomplish a workload befit several people and we want the best for those little buggers that mess up our toilets.  We are parents and we don't punch a time card!

3 comments:

  1. Right on as usual!!! Love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If mothers stopped working this country would shut down. Your value is valued Karen! Even if society continues to undervalue it. Mothers know better. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Because moms aren't told often enough how important and valued we are. WE ARE!! Just imagine what the world would be like without us. I shudder. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete