Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The Cupcake Mommy...

What makes me the "Cupcake Mommy"?  My kids will tell you that it is NOT a delicious dessert on the dinner table everynight because I don't do that!  I don't eat desserts.  I wasn't raised with desserts on the table and I guess when I'm making the meals it doesn't translate to me whipping up a daily or even weekly treats.  I have found that I like to create and to decorate sweets.  I can be a from-scratch-baker but I'm not always.  I make a mean chocolate cake from scratch but many times my sous chef is Betty Crocker.  She's a handy friend in the kitchen along with my KitchenAid mixer.

I've been fortunate enough to be able to create for others.  It all started with me wanting to make my kid's birthday cakes and making them special.  They have all had cakes or cupcakes for their birthdays made by me.  There have been a few exceptions...the year we went to McDonald's for one of the kids.  No outside cakes allowed.  Uggg!  A decorate your own cupcake party one year.  I have to admit, that party had so little prep-stress!  And then there was the year that we took birthday parties away.  You heard me right.  They still aged but there was no party and cake to mark the occasion (they won't soon forget that lesson learned!).  That was last year and I can tell you that the kids are already chomping at the bit for their next birthday.

I started as anyone would.  Remembering the times that my own mother was creating something for my sister and me growing up.  It was sometimes tough for her when we got older.  I don't eat cake often and certainly not frosting.  I'm not a fan at all.  I will eat cake but usually cake in the buff.  I should mention that I am a twin so we had to agree on flavors, etc.  A true triumph if we agreed...that wasn't always the case!  I like that I don't give my kids a choice at this point.  You get chocolate and vanilla 1/2 and 1/2 no matter if making a sheet cake or character cakes.  I just have to do a bunch more work.  It is self inflicted so no one to blame there beyond me!

I am thinking about my January baby now.  I have plans to work on for that cake.  I guess I hope my kids remember fondly one day me baking for them...even when I seem crazed and there is flour flying every which way.  I know that I wouldn't trade it for anything.  I like making them happy so this year, I'll let them eat cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment