Sunday, September 12, 2010

When your kids get hurt…really hurt.

I am pretty good in an emergency situation.  I am usually calm, cool and collected but then….it is your kid that gets hurt!  One of the boys got hurt yesterday at his second football game ever.  I was at the other son’s football game because I am the team medic (I’m a highly trained band-aid applicator and jersey shirt tucker).

My husband was at the game with me as this was the first game for the youngest boy and we made a conscious choice to have us both at the 1st game.  Our oldest boy was playing at the same time in Colonie for his second game.  My father-in-law was there with him so he wasn’t alone.

Both games started at 3:00 and after the exciting hoopla of team introductions on the home field the game begins in Ballston.  It was just moments later that Bill (my husband) gets my attention.  He was on the phone with my father-in-law.  Our son was hurt and his wrist is most likely broken.  OMG!  Helpless and feeling a million miles away when truth is we were a half hour drive away.  I felt my eyes sting.  It was then I realized I was crying. So much for no tears in football!  Oh, I should tell you as the team medic I can assure you that tears and football go hand-in-hand!

Bill rushed off and I stayed on the field. Obligation and the fact that we had another child on the field meant that I wasn’t leaving.  That was really hard for me.  However, as a mother, I don’t think that I would have been any help in the situation.  I think that I would have made our son more upset and I’m sure that I would have relived the scene from “Terms of Endearment” when Aurora demanded pain medication for her daughter.  “Give my daughter the shot!”  No one wants to see their child in real pain.  I think that it was best that I stayed and tucked in shirts, aided with ice packs and shouted to parents to get another beverage when their kids sucked down the last bit of water at that warm afternoon game.

I was able to keep in contact via phone and text.  A marvel in technology when you think about it.  I didn’t need to find a payphone to call the hospital waiting room. It is a great asset to anyone to feel so connected.  I spoke with Bill.  I spoke with my son’s team coordinator.  I couldn’t thank her enough for being there.  I told her to thank them all. It meant so much to me to have him supported.  They are all parents too and they just get it!

So the boy came home splinted, wrapped and broken.  But it seems that the worst thing broken was just his wrist.  Can you believe it?  His spirit shined just as bright.  He had thought about quitting football forever but he was lifted up when he heard the team dedicated the game to him (winning 31-7…I guess the other team was given a TD for a mercy rule).  Coach said that he would work with our son to make sure he stays involved as it was important to us.  We think he likes the idea of being a ball-boy and even helping with “coaching” duties.

He made it through the night like a trooper.  He didn’t wake in pain or anything.  He’s made of strong stuff.  I did find an Orthopedic group based on recommendations.  When your child is hurt, it is then when you find out just how many of your friends have gone down the injury recovery road!  I called today (yes, on Sunday—per instruction from hospital).  I am a rule follower. I was surprised that my idea of this emergency is not what the answering service considers emergent.  Well…I am his mom after all!  I guess we wait and see. For those that know me they know that I’m not a wait and see kind of person!

So I’m off for the day….to wait and see.

5 comments:

  1. Good luck! I hope that he feels better soon, and that you're able to get through to the orthopedic group ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's try again... Wishing the best for my nephew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it worked! It wasn't letting me comment before- so I guess I am known as my email name and not Crochet Kim lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow.. I have always loved the way your write.. but this takes the cake.. Or shall I say cupcake .. Poor kid.. and poor Mom.. I had tears in my eyes reading this.. I would have had no hair by the end of the game.. and so love the comment on technology. Your such a AWESOME mom.. Wish ur little champ a speedy painless recovery :)

    ReplyDelete