Friday, September 10, 2010

I’ve got a secret…

I haven’t told anyone this…just you.  How many of you will see this remains to be seen but I need to let the secret out.


I’m a slacker mom.  That’s right a slacker mom.  I have heard so many times, “Karen, I don’t know how you do it.  Four kids, PTA, volunteering...how do you have time for all that you do?”  Please!  Don’t let me fool you…ever.  While I am a stay-at-home mom to 4 kids I am not the idyllic role model that I would have you believe me to be.  First, I swear like a trucker.  In fact, I may be worse.  So, 'June Cleaver' I am not! Second, I will let dishes sit for days if there are more important things to do.  So, 'Mrs. Brady' I am not (although I would like to mention that she had Alice).  Third, a shower everyday…only if I need to be in public and I really have to!  So a perfectly polished 'Bree Van de Kamp' I am not.  I do have flashes of desperation from time to time! And four…ah shucks.  Who needs a forth?  I’m too lazy to come up with more.  Perhaps that is the forth one!  I put on a good show for events and for the kids but aren’t there days that wearing PJ’s all day and drinking hot tea are just the way to go?

Today is one of those days I think. I think that I will get my 'Peggy Bundy' on and prepare to call for take out tonight.  It counts as a warm meal!  So PJ’s, tea and my magic wand—it’s shaped more like a toilet brush than I would have hoped but I should do at least one domestic thing today!

8 comments:

  1. a budding writer! who knew? Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it and totally agree...some days are made to stay in the pjs and pretend over the phone/computer that we have it all together.

    Can't wait to read more!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well...my intended career was going to be writing...journalism or the great American novel...or even a good post-it note on the fridge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Moms who do it all and still get the dishes done seem so unrealistic! When you juggle so many balls, a few must always fall. The first ball for me is always cleaning the house. That always seems to be last on the list.

    However, if in the end I have three happy, well adjusted kids who remember that their mom cared about school and the bigger picture; I'm sure they will forgive me for not doing dishes every night. At least I hope they do.

    I too am a slacker and I see it as my strength and not a weakness. Sometimes knowing how to let the little things go is important!

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I certainly don't think it a weakness either! My hair may be pulled back but I came to school to set up for the party or event. And that's what counts in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG you crack me but oooh so honest love it!its great Karen you are quite the crafty women and kudos too you for all that you do everyone should be proud to have you as a mom or a friend

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely thing to say, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't sweat it Karen. You're not the only mom out there who spends more time in pj's than out ;) It's all about comfort! As for chores.... as long as their bellies are full, they're in clean clothes and they don't smell no one needs to know the rest.

    ReplyDelete