Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The marriage of traditions...

So I was thinking about Thanksgiving and holidays in general and the traditions that each of us hold near and dear to us....starting with the meal.  It all came to me while making a traditional turkey dinner the other night just because my husband wanted that for dinner....um, yes, I am that awesome to whip up a full turkey dinner on little notice!  I was thinking about how the simple parts of family meals are different from family to family.

I should tell you that I come from people that make green bean casserole with cream of mushroom soup, french style green beans and crispy fried onions on top.  Simple, high in calories and the lubricant needed to make that turkey slide right down your pipes.  Some people think its the gravy that makes it all go down.  I'm here to tell you it is the green bean casserole. 

My husband comes from a people that marries regular cut green beans with crisped bacon pieces and fresh sauteed onions.  An equally brilliant side dish with all the earmarks of a delicious waistline inch-adding, high calorie dish.  I remember the first Thanksgiving that I enjoyed with my then fiancee.  I looked all over for the creamy bean dish that I had always known and loved.  But there it was.  The future of my green beans right there in front of me.  Grandma Bates' bacon and green beans.  It would have been rude to refuse them.  I happily scooped them upon my plate and even had seconds as I recall.

I have since hosted many family dinners for the holidays...with both green bean dishes.  You see, Bill and I have been married for over 14 years and sometimes compromise is good but sometimes excess is best!  We'll compromise on the small stuff but matters of traditions and beans are nothing to play foolishly with.  It is always best to add a little extra to the holiday table for the blended families.

I hope that you all have a lovely and Happy Thanksgiving with your family....no matter what their bean of choice is!

2 comments: