Friday, December 17, 2010

On being sorry...

If only forgiveness was as easy as the act of saying that you are sorry.  We throw the phrase "I'm sorry" around a lot and as easily as a greeting to a friend on the street.  There are times when it is clear that we don't always share in the meaning of this 2-word pharse.

I'm sorry can start a conversation...

I'm sorry that I....
I'm sorry that you....(one of my favorites.  Can I have passive agressiveness for $200, please Mr. Trebek?)
I'm sorry for your loss...

It can also end a conversation....
I have to go, I'm sorry.
It's me, not you, I'm sorry.

It can cut and heal with the same gesture.  I'm sorry.  These 2 little words that we yearn for can be hollow and insincere.  Maybe it is time we use another phrase.  Give something away with more power.

Perhaps starting with "I was wrong" would go further in mending the fences damaged badly and never repaired with "I'm sorry".  Or better yet, we could stop causing pain to our fellow man.  Just saying....it would be nice.

1 comment: